The seventh annual Toyota SA Young Auctioneer Competition has taken an exciting turn! When the competition first took off in 2013, it was a small, single-event competition that took place at the Bloem Show. Since then the competition has grown to include different regions in the country. The regional competitions were hosted at agricultural events such as the Bloem Show and the Royal Show.
Winners from each region were selected by a panel of judges and invited to participate in the national competition round, after which a winner was crowned. Here are the national winners that have been crowned since 2014:
2014 Nampo – André van Zyl
2015 Nampo – Gareth Hughes
2016 ALFA – Steven Matthews
2017 ALFA – Gavin Matthews
2018 ALFA – Barco van Niekerk
2019 ALFA – JP Marais
New challenges, new competition!
The 2020 competition was set to start in April this year at the Bloem Show. However, the whirlwind of circumstances in which our country finds itself, have forced the competition to adapt, change and overcome. Due to most agricultural shows having been either postponed or cancelled, the competition is now going digital! Exciting, new and certainly groundbreaking for both the participants and the organisers!
The new concept has allowed us to revisit our general strategy, and to create a new and improved competition which will reach new hights. Entering the competition is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Competition entries open 1 June and close 15 August 2020.
- Entrants must send a video of themselves to either 066 231 2430 or 084 580 5120.
- The video must be no longer than two minutes.
- In the video the entrant must auction off two imaginary lots, the first a sheep ram, the second a cow with two calves.
- Along with the entry video the participant must send a message containing their full names and surname, ID number, all relevant contact info, their region/province, and the category in which they are entering (see below).
- Categories remain the same as they were previously: (a) Younger than 19 – Junior category, (b) Between 19 and 30 – Young category.
All entries will be judged by a panel of auctioneers, who will serve as our judges. For the month of August, those who are chosen as finalists, will have their entry videos shown on Plaas TV, an online agricultural television programme broadcast weekly on YouTube. Regional winners will be crowned, and our Toyota SA National Young Auctioneer for 2020 will be announced on 25 September 2020, in a special episode of Plaas TV.
Awesome prizes to be won!
The newly crowned 2020 National Young Auctioneer will win an overseas trip to the Calgary Stampede auction worth R55 000, and the chance to compete there. Regional winners will also receive fantastic Toyota hampers.
What are you waiting for? Warm up that voice, practice your chant and send us your video!