19 January marks National Popcorn Day, making this day perfect for a new popcorn recipe. Blueberry flapjacks are a classic, but by adding chocolate popcorn you will be multiplying the flavour and texture. A toffee banana puree is also sneaked into the mix for extra dimension. Cook inside on the stove or do everything, as we did, outside on the fire.
Ingredients and method
- Cut 2-3 ripe bananas. Add to a warm pan with 1 tablespoon butter and 125ml sugar. Fry until banana turns into a soft toffee banana puree. Set aside.
- Prepare the chunky blueberry coulis by adding 1 punnet of blueberries to a pan with 50ml water and 125ml sugar. Boil until a thick sauce has formed. Set aside.
- Pop the popcorn in a little bit of oil over a hot fire or stove. Once done, add 1 slab of chocolate melted and mix through until combined thoroughly. Set aside.
- Lastly, make the flapjacks by mixing 500ml flour, 2 eggs, 5 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, 2 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt and 250ml milk. Pour a big spoon of batter into a warm pan to make flap jacks.
- Place flapjacks in a plate. Top with popcorn and toffee banana on each. Keep layering in this way until all flapjacks have been used. Top off with the chunky blueberry coulis and serve. –Ursula Human, Farm fare