It’s time to start planning your Christmas dinner and working it into your budget. A pork roast is a classic festive dish that offers great value for money. This is especially true for a leg of pork that is an economical way to feed a big group of people. This recipe is based on a recipe by South African Pork, (Pork SA). Follow the easy steps below or watch the video to help you cook the perfect Christmas roast.
Golden roast leg of pork
When buying a roast, calculate approximately 250g of pork per person. Thus a 2kg leg of pork will be enough for 7 – 8 people. Ask your butcher to score the skin for you to make for crisp crackling.
2kg -2,5 kg leg of pork
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for rubbing
apple sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Pat the leg of pork with kitchen paper to dry it. Score the skin on top in 2 cm intervals with a very sharp knife if your butcher has not done it.
- Rub with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place a wire rack in an oven-roasting pan.
- Roast the leg for the required amount of time. Calculate as follows: for every 500g, roast it for 30 minutes. Thus, for a 2kg roast leave in the oven for 2 hours.
- After this time, roast for a further 15 -20 minutes to get the skin on top golden brown and crisp. You can use the oven grill or fan to help this process.
- Once done, remove from the oven and leave to rest for 8 – 10 minutes. Carve thinly against the grain and serve with rice and gravy, vegetables, *roasted potatoes and apple sauce for a complete Christmas meal.
*Potatoes can be roasted with the pork by placing thickly sliced potatoes underneath the wire rack in the roasting pan. The lovely meat juices and fat will drip down and season the potatoes.
Watch the video below for more details on how to cook the perfect roast leg of pork for Christmas.