This recipe for grilled mussel skewers is from Blue Ocean Mussels, which sustainably produces local mussels. Visit blueoceanmussels.com for more recipes or click here for more Farm Fare recipes. To read more about the sourcing of sustainable seafood click here.
2kg live mussels, cleaned and debearded
or 800g frozen half-shell mussels, thawed
125ml BBQ sauce
2ml ground black pepper
20ml freshly chopped parsley
- Steam the fresh mussels on high heat in a large pot until the shells open. Do not overcook. If you are using frozen half-shell mussels, let them thaw completely and cook for one to two minutes.
- Remove the mussels from their shells.
- Coat the mussels in the BBQ sauce and season well with salt and black pepper.
- Skewer six to eight mussels lengthwise onto the wooden skewers.
- Lightly grill the mussels over hot coals for 40 to 60 seconds per side.
- Remove from the fire, squeeze some lemon juice over the mussels, and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley. Serve immediately. – Ursula Human, AgriOrbit