On 19 March, the Western Cape Provincial Department of Agriculture’s 2020/2021 budget of R970,556 million was tabled in the Western Cape legislature.
The 2020/2021 budget is allocated as follows:
- Sustainable resource management: R130 621 million.
- Farmer support and development: R293 681 million.
- Veterinary services: R108 228 million.
- Research and technology: R161 160 million.
- Agricultural economic services: R43 562 million.
- Structured agricultural education and training: R62 466 million.
- Rural development: R30 268 million.
Initiatives for 2020
Key initiatives planned for 2020/2021 include:
- R20 million for three cold rooms in support of the black commercial farmer initiative in the Overberg district.
- R10 million is assigned for the purpose of market access improvement through biotechnology and increasing fruit export opportunities in Africa.
- R49,5 million is earmarked for drought-related interventions in the 2020/2021 financial year.
- An additional once-off allocation of R20 million is put towards raising the canal walls of the Brandvlei dam.
The news that government allocated a further R25 million towards drought mitigation in the Central Karoo and Garden Route districts were also welcomed. – Press release, Western Cape Government