The National Animal Health Forum (NAHF) has in the last five years done extensive work for the betterment of the public-private partnership with the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF), says its Chairman, dr Pieter Vervoort.
Success stories of the NAHF include the following:
- In 2013 the NAHF assisted DAFF with administration with the outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in Limpopo, Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal.
- Throughout 2015 and 2016 the NAHF, together with industry support secured the completion of various export questionnaires and assisted in the inspection visits from these countries.
- The Forum played an important role in February 2014 to achieve the declaration of the International Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), that South Africa is free of foot-and-mouth disease.
- In 2015 the NAHF assisted DAFF with its Veterinary Strategy and was involved with a countrywide road show to introduce the strategy. Every province had the opportunity to add to the document.
- In 2016 the Brucellosis Steering Committee was established in collaboration with DAFF.
- The Compensation Committee was established with DAFF in 2016.
- In 2016 the working group for animal identification, recording and traceability was established in collaboration with DAFF.
- In 2016 the Vendor / Declaration Discussion Committee was established with DAFF.
- This year (2017), the Antibiotic Discussion Committee was established with DAFF.
- The Heartwater Vaccine Committee was also established this year in collaboration with DAFF and Onderstepoort Biological Products.
According to dr Vervoort, the NAHF is very proud of the immense success that has been achieved by the different provincial animal health forum. –RPO newsletter