Pavlova is an ideal Christmas dessert for the South African summer. It is fresh and light and makes use of seasonal fruit that looks beautiful (it will also balance out the heavy cream). In this recipe we used fresh seasonal berries, which have become a booming niche market in the local agricultural industry. Fruit can be swapped with any fruit you prefer.
4 eggs, divided
1¼ cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp cornstarch
500ml heavy cream
150g strawberries, hulled and halved
Small tin of granadilla pulp
A few mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and draw a 25cm circle.
- Divide eggs and beat whites until stiff. Gradually add in the sugar, about one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Spoon mixture inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the centre, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building it slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the centre.
- Bake for one hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form; set aside. Remove the paper and place meringue on a flat serving plate. Fill the centre of the meringue with whipped cream and top with berries, granadilla pulp and mint.