Tofu is one of the most popular soya bean products and has become more widely used over the past few years due to the increased number of vegetarian and vegan diets. As it is high in protein, tofu makes a great meat replacement. Give this vegan recipe a try if you are curious about tofu.
2 tbsp canola oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red chilli, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp garam masala
500g extra firm tofu, cubed
1 red pepper, diced
1 can of tomatoes
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onions and sauté until soft.
- Add chilli, ginger, cumin, coriander, and garam masala. Sauté until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the cubed tofu and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the red pepper and sauté for approximately one minute.
- Add the tomatoes, water, salt and pepper. Simmer until the red pepper is tender and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve with rice or flatbread.
Read more about novel ways of processing various types of oilseeds, such as soya beans, by clicking here. –Ursula Human, Farm fare